High Protein and Super Fresh
Duration: approx. 20 Min | ⓥ Vegan | ⓧ Gluten-free
Indulge in the vibrant flavor explosion of beetroot hummus, a versatile and healthy twist on the classic chickpea dip. Experience the delightful combination of rich nutrients, visually appealing colors, and the unique taste of beetroot in this nourishing treat.
Beetroot is not only known for its bright color but also for its impressive health benefits. As the main ingredient in beetroot hummus, it offers a ton of nutrients such as fiber, vitamin C, folic acid, iron, and potassium.
For women in particular, it’s a real powerhouse vegetable. With its rich iron and nutrient content, Beetroot is the perfect winter vegetable that adds warmth and color to any meal while contributing to your overall health.
Don’t like the taste of beetroots? With this delicious Beetroot Hummus, I’ll show you how to make the most out of this little root and how to create a fantastic and complex flavor with a few spices.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- • Super nutrient-rich – high in protein and iron
- • Aromatic and fresh, perfect for everyday meals
- • Tastes better than store-bought and is more budget-friendly
- • That beautiful color – vibrant and fresh
Here’s What You’ll Need for The Vegan Beetroot Spread
- Chickpeas – freshly cooked or canned
- Beetroot – freshly cooked or pre-packaged
- Tahini – for a creamy consistency
- Lemon Juice – helps to absorb iron
- Ice Cubes – to make everything fluffy
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves – to taste
- Spices – Allspice, Cumin, Salt, Pepper
How to Make Your Own Beetroot Hummus
Depending on your preferred method, cook/bake your beetroot or use pre-cooked ones. Put everything in a high speed blender. Blend the mixture for about 5 minutes, then gradually add one ice cube at a time. Serve on a plate with garnish and bread.
What Can I Serve The Vegan Beetroot Hummus With?
Beetroot Hummus is not only delicious but also extremely versatile. Whether served warm or cold, as a dip, side dish, or even as a main course, the possibilities are endless. The combination of protein-rich chickpeas and slightly sweet beetroot creates a harmonious flavor composition that tastes delicious on bread or as a dip for vegetable sticks. For example, I love beetroot hummus with roasted vegetables, as a spread on bread, or even as a dip for my beetroot rice bowl.
Variations and Alternatives
With this Beetroot Hummus, you can easily adjust the taste to your likings, or try something new. Here are my favorite alternatives:
• 5 Spice is a Chinese spice blend with cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel and peppercorns. Instead of 5 spice, you can add a bit of cinnamon to enhance the slightly sweet note of the beetroot.
• Use garlic oil instead of garlic or leave it out completely.
• If you prefer a more spicy hummus, add a teaspoon of horseradish to give it some heat.
Tips & Tricks for the Perfect Beetroot Hummus
- Peel the chickpeas to achieve a super creamy result. This is my number one tip for all types of hummus. It only takes 5 minutes – and it’s so worth it 🙂 Here you can find my guide on how to make the perfect hummus.
- Mix for long enough. Give the hummus enough time to allow all the ingredients to blend together. At least 5 minutes, preferably 10 minutes.
- Ice cubes! Instead of water, add 3-4 ice cubes. They make the hummus extra creamy.
- Wear gloves! Otherwise, you’ll have pink fingers. It doesn’t bother me most of the time, but I thought I’d mention it just in case.
How to Prepare Your Beetroot
Bake it in the oven: Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius (390 degrees Fahrenheit). Meanwhile, wash your beetroot and place them individually on a baking sheet. Bake for approximately 45-60 minutes, depending on the size. The beetroot is cooked when you can easily insert a knife. After cooling, the skin can be easily peeled off. Note: Wear gloves if you want to avoid stains.
Cooking in a pot: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of salt and the unpeeled beetroot. Let it simmer with the lid on for about 45-60 minutes. Once you can easily pierce it with a knife (similar to potatoes), the beetroots are cooked. Let them cool, then peel off the skin.
In the fridge: You can store your Beetroot Hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. The dip tastes best after it has had a day to sit.
Freezing: You can also freeze homemade Beetroot Hummus in individual portions. Simply take it out of the freezer a few hours before you want to eat it and enjoy.
Frequently Asked Questions About Beetroot Hummus
How Healthy Is Beetroot? Can I Eat It Every Day?
Beetroot is extremely healthy as it is rich in nutrients such as fiber, vitamin C, folic acid, iron, and potassium. It also contains powerful antioxidants that can protect against cell damage.
In general, you can eat beetroot every day. However, be aware that it also contains oxalates, which can contribute to the formation of kidney stones. If you already have kidney stones or a tendency to develop them, you may need to limit your consumption of beetroot and consult a doctor beforehand.
Can I Eat Hummus Every Day?
Absolutely! Hummus is a healthy and nutritious dip made from mixed chickpeas, tahini, garlic, and lemon juice. Hummus is rich in fiber, protein, healthy fats, and various vitamins and minerals. Combined with beetroot, you have a perfect and nutrient-rich spread.
How Do I Peel Chickpeas?
Here’s a quick trick: Put the chickpeas in a bowl of water and rub them together a few times with your hands. The skins will come off and float on top of the water. All you have to do is collect them – and there you have your peeled chickpeas. It takes less than 5 minutes, and the result is super creamy hummus, every time.
Do I Always Need Fresh Beetroot, or Can I Use Pre-cooked Beetroot?
I always prefer the cooked or baked version because I personally just love the taste. However, if you’re in a hurry, you can also use pre-cooked beetroot. Your beetroot hummus will still turn out delicious.
Did You Enjoy This Beetroot Hummus? Then Be Sure to Try My Other Recipes:
Classic Chickpea Hummus
Share & Comment
If you liked this delicious white bean hummus recipe, I would appreciate if you leave me a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating and a comment below. Be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook for all my latest recipes.
The Best Vegan Beetroot Hummus
- 150 g chickpeas
- 100 g beetroot cooked
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 50-60 g tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 ice cubes
- Drain the chickpeas, wash them thoroughly and set aside.
- Put the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and spices in a blender.
- Mix everything together until a light and smooth mass is formed (approx. 1 minute).
- Next chop and add the beetroot to the mixture and mix everything on the highest level for 4-5 minutes.
- Gradually add the ice cubes until the hummus has the desired consistency.
- Finally, decorate this lovely hummus with some sesame seeds, olive oil and enjoy!
- You can enjoy it right away. However, if you enjoy having a little bit more of a complex taste, you should prepare it a few hours ahead and let the flavors marinade.
- This beetroot hummus can be kept fresh up to 3 days in the fridge!